RTR Blog: Andrew's Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Predictions

 


     Hmmmm, Star Trek Discovery Season 3. Is this the year that they break out of their shell and become another classic Trek series in the pantheon of Trek series? Or is this the year that they fizzle out and lose all credibility? I am choosing to take the high road this year, I learned my lesson during Lower Decks and I don't want to cry foul to be proven wrong this time. I think above all else the shift forward in time by 900 years will allow the writers to tell the stories they want to tell unencumbered by the timeframe in which the show takes place. When we look back at Star Trek DISCO in the future, not unlike the Next Generation, we will say that season three was when they caught their stride!


CHARACTERS

     Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps. I think that season one and two of Discovery did a horrendous job of developing the characters that we have and in some instances (like Saru going through Kelpian puberty), somehow made them worse! I am hoping that we are going to see some better writing and better use of the cast this season. It would also be really nice to not use Burnham so much, but I can't go so far as to say they will pull that trigger. I think that over the course of the season, we will start to like the characters a little bit more, but there will still be some residual stank from season one and two that will take another couple of years of airing out to fix!

STORY

    Lets just pray that it isn't another season of mystery box theatre. Last years reliance on the Red Angel gimmick made for some pretty lack lustre television with some overly pandering "cliff hangers". I think that because we will be so far into the future, just finding out where everything is an whats been happening will be interesting enough to carry the show. 

VISUALS/SPECIAL EFFECTS

    They will continue to be good and will fit the show better now that its in the future.


This is a bit rushed, but I wanted to get something out before the season was half over, I am eagerly anticipating this season, and love having new Trek to watch on Thursday nights!

Comments

Popular Posts